Thursday, March 14, 2013

Guitar scales interactive.

Hi there.
While I'm making my way back to HTML5 game dev, I thought I'd share some work I did on musical theory.
This is a small interactive HTML5 Canvas guitar scales generator written in JavaScript. For standard guitar set-up, the Tuning Base Note should be set to "E" and the tuning to "Standard".
The scales wrap around, so the pattern doesn't often start on the BaseNote/Key/Root. It basically shows you all notes on the guitar that exist within the chosen scale.
As a exercise, guitarists familiar with bar-chords will can try find the three major chords, the three minor chords and the one diminished chord existing within the E major scale.

Guitar scales

BaseNote/Key/Root:
Scale:
Handedness:
Tuning:
Tuning Base Note:

© Copyright by Petrus J. Pretorius. All rights reserved.

5 comments:

  1. Very cool!! I've coded something similar, exploiting HTML5 audio, if you wanna try it:
    www.fachords.com
    ciao fro Italy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something similar? Heh! Your's is quite a bit further along!
      I might revisit this one and add rudimentary web-audio support.
      Interactive html5 harp coming up soon though ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to play with your html5 harp :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.youtube.com/user/Christian13CA check out this youtube channel its filled with great music and cool vlogs and also a short movie!!!

    ReplyDelete