Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Game-play concept for Rogue-Like project.

EDIT(7 July 2013): Code moved to github: https://github.com/zskilz/manband
github.io page not up yet, sorry, been busy. To play download the zip and open manband.html in Chrome or FireFox (Requires webGL).

Ok, so making a fully fledged Rogue-like in three weeks was a bit unrealistic... but considering I didn't know three.js when I started, I think I did ok, though unfortunately I'm one day late on delivering something playable (on Chrome at least).

Here is what is missing, or buggy, from the game-play experience:
  • EDIT: Firefox, weapon sprites not showing... 
  • There is a bug where the  bites from small zombies are ineffectual - I know why, and I will fix later.
  • Inventory management. 
  • The ammo indicator needs a reload display to let you know when you can shoot.
  • Improved passive AI to help avoid structures.
  • Flocking, for group behaviour.
  • Group commands with the right click.
  • A proper map with multiple arenas.
  • Game events - for dialogue, death-screens, etc.
  • Help screen with legend.
The graphics are very debug, but I make no excuses for this... The focus is still game-play. I will only focus on polish once the game-play is to my satisfaction. 

So there you have it. Deadlines are silly, and silly people like me always tend to over-estimate their abilities. To complete the above list I now guess would take maybe another week... but then again it could be two, or three!

Quite a bit of work went into this project so far, and if you cruise the code you'll notice that many parts are still in development and left dangling uselessly, hoping to be used soon. So, much of what you don't see, has some place-holder code waiting to be implemented... but then again lots of code is just plain not there yet.

Next up: As a priority, I will do some bug fixes, and add any improvements to the inventory system since currently the weapon with the highest damage points gets automatically selected, which means that you need to reload and try avoid some pickups to try others. Also, a reset button is desperately needed.

After the important fixes, I suspect the pace of development will slow down since I need to spend more time on polishing my personal website, and to focus on getting possible financing so I can hopefully make games for a living...

Anyway, go check out the game-play demo here

That link again: https://github.com/zskilz/manband

No comments:

Post a Comment